A RUSSIAN ORTHODOX NAVE
Queen Katharina was a member of the Russian Orthodox church. The sepulchral chapel therefore includes a Russian Orthodox place of worship in which the space is divided into three sections, a vestibule, a nave and a sanctuary, or sanctum. The latter is separated from the nave by an elaborately designed wall or screen, the so-called iconostasis. The sepulchral chapel served as a Russian Orthodox church between 1825 and 1899. To this day, a Russian Orthodox service is held here every Pentecost in remembrance of the queen.